The way you were parented and the many events in your life have led you to be the person you are today. Sometimes a trauma happens, be it big or small, and it reshapes who you are again. Everything in your past shaped the way you think, what you believe about the world, what you’re good at and the sort of person you are.
Sometimes, past parenting styles or traumas can hold you back from living life freely or even loving fully in relationships. But once you know about them, it’s your responsibility to break the chain and to let these past events go.
Below are 7 simple steps to release your limiting beliefs about yourself and the world. This is super important work and not enough people do it. Avoidance of these steps is why you have adults behaving like children in relationships. It’s why most businesses don’t get off the ground. Don’t dismiss it, it’s the most important and productive work you can do:
Set Clear Goals
- Get clear on what you do want to happen or believe in your life. It could be, “I want to love with all my heart and trust my partner”. Or something like “I want my business to be a success”.
Acknowledge Limiting Beliefs
- Acknowledge the past belief that’s getting in the way of what you want. So it could be “Love hurts”, or “I can’t have a successful business”. Write out everything you believe about it and why. Big or small reasons, silly or reasonable feelings. Get it all out onto paper and don’t judge yourself for what comes out.
- Close your eyes and think about the version of yourself where those beliefs came from. It could be when you were 5 or it could even be yesterday. Talk to the old version of you and listen to them. Be compassionate. Then reassure them, validate them, pep-talk, hold them, let them cry.
- Feel the relief or the exhale once the old you is reassured.
Re-write Your Story
- Now counter everything you wrote in step 2. What is the new story you want to tell yourself? Make it realistic and something you can get behind.
Do you want to make your next relationship your last? What do you have to do to get to that stage of trust? Do you want to make a certain amount of money in the next year? What will that enable you to do? How would you feel?
- Close your eyes again and imagine and feel what it would be like to have that new story in your life. FEEL IT. Smile, get into the feeling of it actually happening. Get excited!
- Listen to your gut for the next step, and take that step. What is the inspired action to make the new belief true? Accept more people on dating apps? Be more open minded? Take a training? Learn more about marketing?
Do these 7 steps regularly on anything you don’t want in your life or in your belief system. The more time you spend acknowledging the past, and then taking inspired actions towards what you DO want, the quicker your desired future will come to you.
Think about what you could achieve and be if you didn’t have that little voice inside your head telling you not to bother trying. You can do and be anything you want. It’s not too late. I promise.
Share your thought in the comment box below!
Get social with us!
Sign up for our monthly newsletter